View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 07:20 PM
MikeB525
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Default Can I finally get some numbers??

Ok, theres something I've been wondering for a long time now. When it comes to raising ticket prices, exactly how much are we talking about? Just to make things easy and to give me a better idea, lets do it based on the following:

I recently booked a round trip, non-stop flight between EWR and PHX on Continental. Since PHX is so freaking hot, summer could be considered the "off season", and I booked the ticket exactly 2 months in advance. In both directions I'm taking the first flight of the day (approx 7am), and in both directions the aircraft is a Boeing 737, either a -700 or an-800.
Continental Airlines charged me $306 + taxes/fees. How much "should" they have charged me???

My theory has always been that the actual increase in the price for a ticket would not even have to be all that much. That 737-800 carries about 160 people, so if each person paid only $20 more, that would be an additional $3200 in revenue for the round trip (assuming each pax books a round trip ticket), or $1600 in each direction.

On a side note, while it's terrible for anyone to loose a job, at least it's nice to finally see managment being forced to take it in the @$$ instead of just pilots and other "lowly labor".

Last edited by MikeB525; 06-14-2006 at 07:28 PM.