View Single Post
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM
surreal1221
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by Caveman
End of discussion.

Plenty of "qualified" labor out there ready willing and able to work for current wage levels. Until that changes, wages will stay the same in an semi unregulated labor market.

You or I may not be willing to work for $20/hr, or even think it's right, but there are plenty of "qualified" people that are.

I'm afraid it's a simple as that.
Welcome to the forum.

True, and honestly, a lot of us will have no choice but to work for $20/hr as a junior FO. Just ridiculous that that is how it is. I'll suck it up like so many before me, but I will be working hard to see that it changes for those that follow behind me. Which is something that I can't quite say about the current pilot work force. The "I got mine, and you'll have to do it just like I did" mentality just doesnt sit well for me. We need to band together to help EVERYONE out.

In regards to SWA, they minimize their cost anyway they can, since day one. I praise them for that. SWA is a great airline, for what they provide (or lack there-of) and I certainly hope they continue to benefit.

I'm no 150 IQ type person when it comes to the Airline industry, I've just grown up around it. These subjects are simple economics to me. As someone's previous example, a $20 increase in ticket prices are reasonable, and would increase money coming into the company . Whatever company it may be. All the company has to say is it is due to raising fuel costs, and blame the government. It works for every other sector, would work just fine for the airline industry. Who knows, maybe then our government will get off of their ass and actually do something about OPEC and put more time and research into other fuels so that the aviation industry can utilize more of the raw oil for production of avgas and jeta, etc.

I'll let all of you guys discuss this situation further. I'm going to go back to flying a 172 for hours towards my PPL, and continue upward in the dispense of money. Once I get on with a regional and I see the day to day workings first hand, then perhaps my opinion will change, but I doubt it.

Last edited by surreal1221; 06-14-2006 at 08:42 PM.