View Single Post
Old 06-16-2006, 03:14 AM
C175
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: EMB170 FO

Originally Posted by kalyx522
Hi everyone,
I'm a fresh college graduate with 297 hrs. Like most everyone else, my plans were to flight instruct until I got enough hours to apply to the regionals. (I have my CFI/II/MEI.)

Then I got a job offer from a part 135 in Hawaii, SIC position in C208B(Iflywinnebagos mentioned the company in his 4/26 thread.)
This job seems to have pros and cons (a major con including the $8/hr wage, as Iflywinnebagos mentioned) but I concluded that overall, it will be good experience, especially for someone at an early stage in their career like me.

Now I'm not sure if I'm making the right decision. My goal is to get to the airlines as soon as possible. I know about now, regionals require about 100-200 ME time. If I took this 135 position, I'll be getting about 50-60 flight hrs a month, and those will be only SIC SE turboprop time. How much is that worth and will regionals even consider me with SIC SE time even if its turboprop? Do airlines place any value on the kind of experience I'll get from the kind of flying I'll do in Hawaii?

I'm not trying to be picky, being such a low-time pilot. But I do have another option, my previous plan - flight instructing - and I'm wondering if that will be a better and/or faster path to the airlines. (If I instructed, I would be working for a major university so I would have a lot of work. Said university is in a hiring frenzy right now for CFIs due to the large number of instructors who continue to leave for the regionals.)

FYI, I personally don't have a preference for either job.. I think they'll be equally challenging yet satisfying in different ways. I just want to pick the job that would be better for my future.
Please help, your words of wisdom will be much appreciated.
Go 135. It will make you not only a better pilot, but a better person also.