Thread: crew services
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 06:11 AM
SitBackRelax
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: A320, left
Default Food for thought

Something to consider/debate/trash/whatever when discussing having "our opinion represented"...

Does "the pilot group" have anything resembling a uniform opinion?

Even this board seems fairly divided.

Just one example related to this thread: I was a part of 2 conversations over 2 days regarding Reserve assignments in which a few guys expressed the following opinions:

1) I come in on my first day, and they've given me the 2000-0800 shift, pretty much a guarantee that I'll get a redeye. That's BULLSH*T... that shift should go to the most junior guys. I want the 0800-2000 bankers' hours.

2) I come in on my first day, and they've given me the 0800-2000. So now I've gotta commute in on the day before -- that's BULLSH*T! They should give the most junior guys the early shifts on the first days and give the more senior ones the latest show possible.

Again, my point is not that our Reserve system / Crew Services couldn't use some help, but rather that I'm not convinced I want a couple of guys saying things like "we all can't stand redeyes" on my behalf.

Union / pilot association / committee... great, necessary even, if we're flat out being screwed, but are these issues of that magnitude??