Thread: crew services
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2005, 03:56 PM
bluebird

Also: pilot representation need not be focused immediately on issues of direct cost like pay and benefits.
And: dues need not be collected in the early stages. In later years 1/2 to 1 percent can be collected when and if the pilot group feels the need to collect dues and to pursue a contract. Since we already have a contract, it might be argued that the framework is laid. The pursuit of enhancements to this existing document might be done inexepensively.
Most pilot unions were started and run by volunteers and even though the pilots had voted for representation, simple enhancements/protections to the existing operation were all that were sought initially. Many groups were only seeking the protection of due process and the ability to reign in leaders who were beginning to get a little fast and loose with the regular pilot's life.
ALL unions (particularly in-house unions) are strictly democratic institutions. The lessons learned by this pilot group give me confidence that we have a good chance of avoiding the mistakes of the past. Much like the prudence and professionalism displayed by our friends at SWA. The only difference might be that we have additional insight post 9/11. I also believe that when faced with the reality of a collective bargaining agent, David and Dave will take the high road and act as admirably as Herb.
It IS a RIGHT - established by law - for very good reasons.
When someone begins the rant about Jimmy Hoffa or Mad Dog all I can say is that every institution is corruptible - even the Catholic Church, and boards of directors, and CFO's, and charities, and government agencies, and school boards, and city planners, and YES even companies.
So save the long one-sided diatribes about how pilots themselves are the cause of all our woe's. I do not subscribe to the idea that I'm lucky to have a job. I earned it.