Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by Brian3613 View Post
I just got my first-class medical and will be starting flight school in the fall. What I've noticed is that the FAA's strict rules seem extremely unreasonable and unfair. When were their guidelines written? Back in the 50's? Just from reading some threads in the forums and visiting the FAA's website, it seems that they're assuming all pilots are to go throughout life as a finely tuned machine. As you go through life, you better not run into any minor health problems. God forbid you may need to be medicated for any common ailment. It seems these sort of strict rules and guidelines will only cause trouble in the long run. Pilots will be hesitant to seek help for any ailment he or she may think wil have a negative affect on their career. This is the same line of narrow-minded thinking that culture that goes on in the military. I think this is a problem that needs to be addressed and fixed.
I should probably take offense to this view of the entire military; but I have to go do my narrow-minded job now. Now - if you want a comment on the medical stuff - amen - agree.

USMCFLYR