Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Crism
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I've worked for Air America for two years, and logged nearly 2000 hours in company aircraft (1,950). I can assure you that AA's aircraft are maintained to the highest industry standards. The only incidents that have involved flight school aircraft have been either pilot error or act of God (bird strike), with the exception of a gear failure in the Cutlass. The failure was attributed to a manufacturer's defect in the system, not to lax maintenance.

I personally fly for the imaging department at Air America, and it involves some of the most challenging flying I've ever done in my career. When I step into the aircraft to fly night IFR from Salt Lake City to Denver, or take the runway at Skykomish (S88-look it up, it will raise the hair on your neck, particularly if you've only flown in Florida..ahem), or cross any and every mountain range in the US, the last thing I worry about is whether the maintenance has been performed correctly- I know with absolute certainty that it has.

Beyond that, Air America (IIRC) has one of the best safety records of any flight schools based in the Daytona area. It also has some of the best prices and staff - ok, that last one is opinion.

Anyway, back on topic- I haven't seen his name on here and I'm not sure if he's still around, but check out Scott Penkes. He's a great instructor, period. Sean and Chuckles are good options as well if you have a few extra clams. Good luck!
I'm not saying that the instructors are bad. I've been there and I've seen the maintenance and I didn't like what I saw. Ex. constant writeups on the 182 for fluctuating tach, duchesses with low oil pressure, seatbacks, this that and the other thing. And you're right about the staff...that's a BIG opinion. Especially with the owner...who I cannot stand. I just don't feel she should be getting any business after the experience I had.