View Single Post
Old 07-19-2008, 11:02 AM
XHooker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by bryris View Post
However, the check airman ripped me up pretty good and in so many words told me that I should relish every paycheck the company gives me because my flying skills aren't worth crap.
Bryris, first let me say attitudes like this shouldn't be tolerated. If the sim instructor thought you weren't up to speed he should have failed you and given you some constructive critique and extra sim sessions. If he thought you were OK with room for improvement (which is apparently what he thought), he should have offered constructive criticism and sent you on your way. In no case is belittling someone acceptable. You should inform the head of your training department about this instructor and tell them what happened. I'll bet it's not the first time they've received complaints about this instructor and you owe it to your fellow pilots to speak up. I say that with the assumption you showed up well prepared for the ride.

How do you prep for these sim profiles that you NEVER do online? I can "armchair" fly all day, but it doesn't really help in the actual sim.
There's some very good advice on this thread. Personally, every time I drive to work I mentally review all of my callouts for different situations, V1 cut, including what checklists to call for, handling the FAs, ATC, company, PAs, single engine missed approach, all immediate action memory items, windshear, RTO, CFIT recovery, non precision approach procedures, monitored approach procedures including two engine MA, and what I'm going to do if I lose an engine or pressurization at altitude. It sounds like a lot, but it only takes about 15-20 minutes. Aside from having your callouts and profiles down cold, know the basic pitch and power settings for different configurations (250 KIAS and minimum clean level, landing config on final, SE and two engine GA, etc.) Those might be available if you have a "Flight With Unreliable Airspeed" section in your FM. Having basic pitch/power settings to get you in the ballpark help until you get your fine tuning down.