View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 09:53 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Left the Biz

Originally Posted by de727ups View Post
What we seem to have a lot of at APC is folks who are facing hard times in the present day economy. Aviation has always tended to cycle with the economy. What we don't hear much about are folks who have left the biz and what they are doing. What is their QOL. What do they make. Is the grass really greener when you leave the flying job?

Great thread, by the way.
Spooled asked the question "what happens to pilots after they get tossed out of their big time airline job". What happens to the 160K captain who suddenly finds himself on the street? Their whole life is built upon an income that is not easily replaceable.

In addition pilots who have enjoyed high seniority and have flown the same equipment for the last decade can not exactly jump into a part 135 Learjet operation and be able to adapt very easily.

When I was training to get my CFI there was a crazy old man who worked the fuel pumps at the FBO. He would mumble to himself about Eastern Airlines and occasionally spout off an obscenity. It turns out he was senior captain at Eastern who got tossed out when they shut down and was never able to retain another flying job.

My parents had a guy who did the laundry at their retirement villa who was an EX-TWA pilot. It is not easy to start over as a pilot. To have to do it when you were soft, comfortable and complacent must be near impossible.

SkyHigh