View Single Post
Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 PM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by FLY6584 View Post
Yeah that's the reason I am asking. I am in UPT right now trying to figure out what I would like to fly. As of right now FAIPing is at the top of my list, but I've been told that FAIPing really hurts your chances of becoming a test pilot in the military so I'm considering not putting FAIP as one of my top choices. I'm just trying to figure out what kind of oppurtunities are out there for military test pilots after the military considering military test pilots usually log a lot less time than your average MWS pilot/IP.
In the USN being a SERGRAD comes and goes with the demands of the service and since they usually only do it for a couple of years and then get their choice of aircraft assignment; that was always the bennie that made getting the slot bearable - but I don't ever remember anyone CHOOSING to be a sergrad vice getting out into the operating forces. Is this common practice now days?

FLY6584 - if I may ask - why is FAIPing one of you top choices? Btw - since you typically get a WHOLE LOT more hours instructing than in the fleet - you'll at least come out with probably more total hours; that is why I do know that many people chose the training command as follow on orders after their first tours if they plan on getting out - for the total time (twice as much as they will get in the fleet!)

USMCFLYR