Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Shamrock23
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Well you have airlines such as emirates, etihad, and airlines in China, India and Africa that basically require you to have PIC time on large aircraft.

You have Europe (who will hire low time pilots) but you need the right to work in Europe. You have to do the JAA conversion (lots of money and time consuming ex. FAA X 3) Then you will have to pay for a type rating for some airlines (lots of money) Obviously this all changes if you have PIC time on large aircraft but still there is a process.

I am still in your situation (working on ratings) but there really is no easy way to get jobs outside of America. You either need to have PIC time on large aircraft (which will take you a few years to get in America) or have the right to work in the EU, take the long hard JAA conversion, and possibly have to pay for the type rating. You could possibly try to go to Africa and get on with a small cargo outfit or something but even then you might need 1500 hours and remember there is actually african pilots.

After I had researched and asked around I came to the conclusion of working in America for a few years and then heading over to Europe (I have dual citizenship) Obviously with the current market that may not be easy but still with the cost to convert to JAA, the possibility of paying for a type rating, I have come to the conclusion that even now with the market in America the investment needed to work in Europe as a low time pilot is not worth it.

When your low time you really do not have much to offer any foreign airline so hence they are not going to help you. That is just my opinion and there is many pilots here with 1st hand knowledge of the foreign situation.