Old 07-30-2008, 10:12 PM
AirWillie
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: MD80

Originally Posted by avi8girl View Post
Hello,

Given the state of hiring/lack thereof/furloughs here in the USA, hiring will be very limited, I am open to the idea of flying for a foreign carrier. I have to go the civilian route. I won't even have my commercial/multi ratings until late October at best. I am trying to get am idea of flying jobs other than CFI, but I will obviously have very limited experience. I know I have to build a lot of time before this is even a realistic option, but just trying to get an idea. I'm thinking freight dog or Alaska for building hours, but what after that?

So, I was wondering the best way to go about getting rated to fly for carriers outside the USA. I would like to find the most efficient schools, minimum hours/requirements, and anything else that factors into this (other than the obvious language obstacles).

I know I have a long way to go, but knowing more routes might help.

Thank you in advance.
Unless you have dual citizenship being a low time pilot won't get you anywhere INT. JAA conversion is not worth it, except for EU nations, just about every aviation authority in any country accepts FAA. There are plenty of INT operators in Europe in the old Soviet block and in the Balkans that don't require JAA but even those countries require at least 1000 hours of multi crew/jet time and preferably an ATP. However, you still have to live in the country so there is the issue of immigration. The benefit of flying INT is that you will get good experience with large airplanes, no one messes with RJs in the rest of the world

If CFIing is not for you then your only option is Airnet not much else right now, nobody is hiring and when they do they won't be looking for 500 hour pilots anymore. Still I have never met anyone who regretted CFIing but I have met plenty that wished they got their CFI and instructed.