Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by avi8girl View Post
Given the state of hiring/lack thereof/furloughs here in the USA, hiring will be very limited, I am open to the idea of flying for a foreign carrier. I have to go the civilian route. I won't even have my commercial/multi ratings until late October at best. I am trying to get am idea of flying jobs other than CFI, but I will obviously have very limited experience. I know I have to build a lot of time before this is even a realistic option, but just trying to get an idea. I'm thinking freight dog or Alaska for building hours, but what after that?

I know I have a long way to go, but knowing more routes might help.

Thank you in advance.

Sounds like you have an adventurous side to your nature. If that is true then there are many places you could try. It's not always easy to break into some of the bush flying type jobs, but it can be done. The Kiwis and Aussies tend to go to Papua New Guinea to build time. A number of Europeans go to Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, and other African countries. Of course Americans will go to Alaska. In almost all cases you have to be willing to go there without the job and start knocking on doors.

This statement is somewhat disturbing though:

I had already decided that China, Middle East, Africa, and some in South America is not where I would want to be....at all.
Most of the foreign jobs that an American can get are in those locations. Silly to limit one's chances by being too picky. The best adventures tend to be in the least likely of locations.

So, I was wondering the best way to go about getting rated to fly for carriers outside the USA. I would like to find the most efficient schools, minimum hours/requirements, and anything else that factors into this (other than the obvious language obstacles).
The American certificate is looked down upon by some because the theoretical knowledge required is significantly lower than in Europe and elsewhere. To get a JAR license takes about 4 to 8 months of ground study for the 14 written exams. There are places in the USA where it can be done. As mentioned, unless you have the right to live and work in Europe it really doesn't do you any good other than some of the other foreign jobs where they like that license over an FAA certificate. Most countries let you just take their "air law" exam then will provide a validation or temporary certificate based on your FAA one. Some will give you a permanent certificate after an "air law" exam and a checkride.

Typhoonpilot