View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
EK Birdcage
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Captain 767

Hello Gents... Let me try to answer these questions....

About US (Chicago) Bases: Two words my friend "Wet Dream"!!
We approached the company about this 3 months ago and were told that there are no plans for a Chicago base at this time.. We have repeatedly told the contract companies to stop mis-leading potential pilots with this...

Expansion: Let me start by saying that there is a business plan, and then there is reality.. SO, what we are being told is true today... Actually for a Japanese company to even talk about future plans with it's "Employees" is very rare, but we have a great group of Management types at AJV.. Any how here is what we have heard.. We have 5 767s now, and orders for up to 14. Mostly will be converted.. (4 now are new, and one is converted) The delay of the 787 to ANA has caused a delay in getting the 767s to convert.. So not sure about 767 deliveries now.. The company has openly said that they will get 777-F or 747-8Fs in 2011 and 2012.. In the mean time, they want to use an ACMI (Polar, Atlas etc) to operate up to 4 747s until we can get larger planes.. Recent rumor, the JCAB (like the FAA) has denied that request.. So again, we don't know what will happen on that front. The current ANA orders for 777 Pax planes allows for transfer to freighter options, and with the 787 f*ck-up, maybe we could get a few sooner, but who knows... When asked about USA flying on the 767 during the ACMI and in the future, we were told that "The 767 will continue to fly to the USA, but maybe not ORD as that would be serviced by the leased 747s".. So does that mean new US cities, I guess so, but WHO KNOWS.... he he

Not trying to be vague, but rather give you the real picture.. Good news is that we are growing, and most guys are very happy here.. There is a lot of money invested in this thing from a lot of BIG companies in JP so I have good confidence growth will continue..

We also know that ANA is building a large freight sorting facility in Naha (Okinawa) and we will have a pretty big operation out of there in the next 2 years.. That could be pretty fun!!

Schedule: We get 11 days off in a row min every month.. you choose the days, and you get it.. If you want, you can also use up to 2 vacation days per month, or take vacation in blocks.. If you talk to 10 guys you will 10 different schedule ideas, but most are quite happy.. I take 13 per month, and sometimes go back to back, and get home for 26.. Seems to work well for everybody, and keep in mind we have people living all over the world..

To the other guys question about FO time on the plane: You do not need any 767 time to interview here... I good friend of mine just passed the Captain interview with only 737 and A-320 time... Now having said that, Captains do require a type on 737 or 320 or larger, and good PIC time in jets (3000 I think)
FOs is less.. There have been some "Issues" with a couple of Captains that were hired with only CRJ time, so they (ANA) upped the mins, and screwed some good guys out of interviews.. It's their train set right?!

Hope it helps...

Cheers,

BC

Last edited by EK Birdcage; 08-04-2008 at 08:48 PM.