View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 12:41 PM
C152driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Bug Smasher Captain, CFI

Originally Posted by rickair7777
I have trained and worked at both 141 and 61 operations...

The theory is that by adhering to a more organized curriculum, a 141 school can get the job done in less flight time, but often there is an associated requirement for a set number of ground school hours. 61 does not require a fixed number of ground hours...you can a take a class if you like, or just read the textbook and do the workbook youself (home study course). Your CFI will check your knowledge prior to sign-off anyway. Many 61 schools run organized groun school classes anyway, they just avoid the 141 status because it is a HUGE paperwork hassle for the school and requires more FAA supervision (real pilots don't like paperwork or the FAA).

The reality is that flight schools (many of which are thinly disguised con-games) leverage their "FAA Approved 141" status into a marketing gimmick to justify higher costs (often WAY higher!).

The end result is usually that you pay the same or even MORE for the same rating under 141...but you did it in less flight hours. The problem here is that total flight time is the primary measure of your career progression at the entry level...you may gotten your commercial with 50 fewer hours than a 61 student, but guess who's going to meet airline hiring mins first? Hint: Not the guy with less flight time.

I would only recommend a 141 program to someone who has a specific need for it: Military veterans need 141 to use their benefits, and if you have a scholarship to a university that runs a 141 program obviously you should do that. There is one other 141 benefit: Some, not all, 141 schools can conduct their own checkride in-house without a DPE. This is a little more comfortable for the student, and due to regulatory technicalities you cannot get a pink slip (check ride failure) on an in-house 141 checkride. If yoy "fail", it counts as incomplete, you get more training, and redo the part you screwed up.
Rickair,

Thanks for your follow up comments, I always find your tone to be reasonable.

I have completed all of my training in 61, so my knowledge (admittedly limited) is based on that. I have had a couple of CFI's that gave me as much free ground instruction as I needed, and I also had one that charged me. So, I was attempting to say that expecting free ground instruction might be a bit much.

I agree with your point regarding completing the commercial in 141, vs. 61. That's the way that I have always looked at it and is the reason I went with 61. It seems that my point about taking a "global" view about training costs is invalid. It sounds like you are saying that it is a common practice for 141 schools to "make up" in ground training costs what they arent getting in flight time. Is that the case?

I think my final point still stands, if CWU1919 doesnt find his program to be fitting all of his needs, he should seek other options. There certainly doesnt seem to be a shortage of them