View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 02:34 PM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by hiplanesdrifter
There was some very interesting fallout from this article containing Brian Murray's name on PPrune... He is a tricky little sonofa*****. There were some factual errors in the article, originally published in the Wall Street Journal, then largely re-printed in the daily "Emirates Today".

Murray was heavily critiqued by his colleagues at Emirates for being economical with the truth.

My point is that just because it is in print, doesn't mean its true. Mr Murray has been more than disingenuous, he is a liar. He shouldn't be trusted, nor should the article.

Caveat emptor

Adios amigos

Since you are calling someone a liar for their quotes in this article lets dissect the quotes, shall we?

Nearly two years ago, at age 51, Brian Murray took early retirement from US Airways. The pilot was outraged by the airline's termination of his pension plan and worried about his future with a carrier sliding toward bankruptcy court for the second time.

But Capt. Murray's flying career was far from over. Today he lives in Dubai and flies wide-body Airbus A330s for fast-growing Emirates Airlines, winging to exotic destinations in Europe, Africa and Asia. He's home more than he ever was at US Airways, and his total compensation package -- including health care, housing allowance, retirement plan and vacation -- is superior. He says his wife and children enjoy living in the United Arab Emirates, and "from a professional standpoint, it couldn't be better."
All true, you may not like positive people but this is Captains Murray's comparision with his previous job and his opinion of his current job.

Capt. Murray, who flies out of Dubai, says safety standards are high at Emirates, and its 1,350 pilots from 70 nations speak fluent English. He says pilots are "treated with respect in this part of the world. We're driven to work. We're put in four- and five-star hotels, on the concierge floors. Captains are treated as vice presidents of the organization."
Safety standards are high at Emirates = True. Most pilots speak pretty darn good English, although it ain't American = mostly true. Pilots are treated with respect, much more so than in the USA. We are driven to work = True. Mostly 4 and 5 star hotels, but not always on the concierge floors = mostly true. I wouldn't know what a VP is treated like so couldn't comment. This was probably the most disliked quote in the article = An exaggertion for sure, but still a personal opinion = Can't say it's a lie.

You call him a liar, but where did he lie ? The PPrune gaff was pretty bad, I admit. I called him at home and told him it was dishonest and he should apologize. But again, how pathetic was it that someone googled his name and dragged out an article from over ten years ago about some very personal stuff and posted it on Pprune ?

You guys are all the same. You don't like positive people. For some reason you are unhappy therefore nobody else is allowed to be happy. Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm happy, I like my job. Working overseas is not for everyone. A lot of people came to Emirates for the wrong reasons and regret their decision, but that isn't Emirate's fault.

Could Emirates be better ? Absolutely it could be better, but it's still a lot better than many of the alternatives out there.

TP