Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
ryan1234
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: USAF

The problem (well depends on perspective) with low-wage workers is that their jobs are only worth low-wage. I'm going to have to call Bull$*** on the struggle to pay life's basics.... average minimum wage employee with at least one dependent will gross about $32,000 when using gov't benefits (i.e. low-income housing, WIC, welfare, Earned income tax credit, etc, etc). A person with reasonable intelligence could provide for their family by making good financial decisions. I have been at that income level before while paying to learn to fly without loans or gov't programs... and I came out just fine. It may be tough to get by... however not spending a paycheck at a bar every friday or buying $50 worth of cigs and $50 worth of lottery tickets every week would certainly help out with that cushion. People are at where they are in life because they want to be there ultimately (excluding medical issues). There is plenty of opportunity in America even in the present economy.
Every new social program serves to de-value the dollar even more in the long run.