Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Tinkerbell
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Default Gentlemen (& ladies), thank you for your hard work!

To all of you who graciously read this post (it is my first one on APC), I would like to say thank you for your hard work at the airlines.

Nope, I am not a pilot, and I don't work in the airline industry either. I am one of those regular passengers who has traveled and lived abroad most of my life, and I wouldn't have been able to do it without all of you.

I recently befriended a pilot who introduced me to what your life is like, and I had no idea. The world doesn't know! Out of curiosity, I decided to check out a couple of pilot forums to gain more insight and have been reading your posts during the last couple of months.

I was surprised to find out how your industry works. Do not hate me, but I am in the MBA world. I side with all of you regarding management. The fact is, if one airline is doing well, it means that the possibility for better management exists and that it can be done with enough foresight and careful planning, and working as a team with all of the companies' employees.

I cannot believe the disconnect between management and employees in some of the biggest airlines. It is appalling. I apologize for such poor conduct and behavior from management. Yes, you are right, it can be done in a better way, and I am not just talking number and decimal points. When things get difficult, it is necessary to take drastic actions sometimes, particulary during a crisis. However, it is also possible to do it with the support of your employees. The tragedy is when you become enemies.

Every time I read your posts I gain an insight into your lives and my life as well. I usually head into an airplane, sleep most of the flight, and leave. Many times I do not even get to see the pilots. It is difficult to think about you all when we do not see you. I love it when you come out of the cockpit upon arrival and say good bye to us. I regret to say that up until meeting my pilot friend and reading your posts, I didn't even think twice about any of you .

I hope you don't mind if I continue posting in the forum, even though I will never be able to participate in any of your technical discussions. I enjoy reading them nonetheless!

Believe me, there are people with MBAs out here who care about the people, the working environment, and the business profit. And yes, it is possible to do all three. It's more difficult during a crisis such as the one you are going through right now.

I just want to say I admire what you do and all the hard work you put into it to get to where are.

BRAVO!