Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
pilot125
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2008

HawkerJock, I totally agree with you! That could have been any one of us involved in that unfortunate accident. Like you said, when you've flown jets long enough, at some point throughout the years, you encounter situations that have the potential to get REALLY UGLY! 99.999% of the time, you manage to "get by" just fine, or just get plain lucky, and life goes on, just as it always has. But there's always that ONE time that it could bite you in the arse............and unfortunately that may have been what happened to this crew.

They very well could have made all the right decisions (flying around the worst part of the weather, making a decision to continue to destination after seeing the winds and weather get considerably better, calculating the WET landing distance needed, and so on). Heck, they may have even noted on short final that the runway appeared to have no standing water and might have prudently decided to touch down on the numbers instead of the 1000' markers. The point is, we can all sit here and say to ourselves that "I would have done things differently", or "I would have never done what they did", but it's very easy to play monday-morning quarterback.

Just maybe the WET numbers worked on paper, and just maybe the runway had no standing water or appeared that way, and just maybe they hit the numbers...............at some point things were not working out like the crew had thought, and they were faced with 2 options. Go-around and head to the alternate, or run off the end of the runway. With only seconds to think about that, many of us probably would have attempted exactly what they did.

And please don't keep saying that you would not have been in that situation ever, you're telling me that you've never landed on a wet runway after a storm had passed by---you are full of it!