View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

I have a 1992 F-250 and a 2006 VW Passat. Both would have the Check Engine light on steady, but at inexplicably random times. The VW also has other warning lights come on, all of which I ignore then they go away. Should I be concerned? The VW mechanic calls in sick when he sees me drive up the service area.

As long as it's not flashing, and you're experiencing no drivability issues, you're probably not hurting anything. However, with the price of gasoline the way it is, you might be better off to find and fix the culprit. It could be an emissions component, which equates to fuel efficiency. The computers store trouble codes, so the "Check Engine" light doesn't have to be on for the AutoZone "guy" to get them. However, some trouble codes are reset after a certain number of drive cycles if they don't repeat. So, it could be something, or it could be nothing. The only sure way is to read the codes when the light comes on, or shortly thereafter.

You could always put the VW in the lemon lot with a FOR SALE sign. Or, there's e-bay... or Craigslist ...