View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 AM
B757200ER
AAmerican Way for AA Pay

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B-737 Pilot

Originally Posted by RedeyeAV8r
ALPA National will not take sides in a Merger between 2 ALPA represented Pilot groups that are merging....It would be a Conflict of Interest.....Just look at USAir (AAA) and former AmericaWest. It is and will be between the 2 merging MECs and the Arbitrator.

Almost all ALPA to ALPA mergers go to a nuetral Arbitrators.......Both sides present their cases to the Arbitrator and make their arguments and present their merger formulas. The Nuetral Arbitrator makes a binding decision on how the merger integration goes...............it becomes LAW.

If a NON-ALPA carrier merges with a ALPA represented carrier, then ALPA National will provide all the Legal assistance needed.

TWA and AMR is one example where that did not really happen. There are many stories as to why. I do not know myself as I was not involved. I was told it was due to the fact that with TWA in Bankruptcy, the TWA Pilots had to make a choice. Take their chances with the company's survival on it's own..........or take a agree to void their contracts SCOPE/Successorship clause and take their chances with APA doing a fair integration.
Fair is in the eyes of the beholder. I have no dog in that fight, but Almost all of the Former TWA pilots are furloughed or close to it.
That situation is what I was referring to. TWA was a founding member carrier of ALPA, yet ALPA's President and BOD decided to completely abandon their pilot group of 2400 and instead attempt to get APA (AA) to merge with ALPA and bring in 11,000 more dues-paying members.

This was my point: Don't count on ALPA to help. If it's in their best interest to do otherwise, they will not be there, even if a non-ALPA carrier merges with a large ALPA carrier.

Not only would Duane Woerth sell his own Mother to cut a deal, he'd send her COD.

And yes, out of 2400 TWA pilots, only 495 are left at AA.

www.twapaf.com
www.twapilots-vs-alpa.com