View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:01 AM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

I have two things to tell you about American Flyers.

1. Multi time. Congratulations on figuring this out. At American Flyers, it practically does not exist. They attempt to hide this from you. You go through their entire program (wherever you live), and you get a private, instrument, and commercial. Oh, you want a multi? Well American Flyers does not own a multi engine airplane at this location (BAD SIGN!!!). The only place they have a multi engine airplane is in Dallas. So pack your bags and head to Dallas to get your 10-15 of multi time. Once you get your multi engine rating, back to your town to go through their flight instructor academy. They will give you a CFI, and a CFII. Wait, what about a multi engine instructor (MEI)? Sorry, American Flyers does not own any multi engine airplanes at this location.

So how do you get your 100+ hours of multi time you will need to go the airlines. Good question that American Flyers does not have an answer for. Basically, you will have to go to a local FBO, get an MEI, and try to get a job with them. But that is probably out of the question b/c you did your training at American Flyers. The other option is to rent a multi engine airplane for $150+ an hour, and fly it around for 90hrs. (That will cost close to $15,000).
I would not recommend this school based on the lack of multi time alone. If you ever talk to this school again, GRILL them on this point. Do not let them off the hook easy. Keep on asking why no multi?, how will I get multi?, don't I need multi? etc... Multi time is vital for regional airlines. No multi = no job! Period!

2. Ground school cost. This one is pretty simple. Ask them how much your ground school cost. They will give you a number. Then ask how many hours you spend in ground school. Press the division symbol on your calculator, and you will get a figure that comes out to about $80 an hour for classroom ground instruction (with 10-20 people). That is more than classes cost at Harvard or Stanford!!! THAT'S TOO MUCH!

American Flyers is a BAD program. If you are training in Florida, and you have your heart set on an airline academy, try Flight Safety or ATP. But airline academies are not really good schools. They are in the business of making lots of money, and they do a good job at it. The best, and by far the cheapest way to train is at a local FBO at your home airport. Here is a comparison of an FBO to an airline academy.

I would recommend you do your licenses and ratings at an FBO. It will save you at least $20,000 for the same training. At academies, you will pay $55 an hour for instruction. At an FBO you will pay about $35 an hour for instruction. The flip side, when you want to instruct to timebuild, academies will only pay you $14 an hour. The FBO will pay you $25-35 an hour. BIG DIFFERENCE! At academies, you will pay like $105 for an old cessna, while at an FBO you will pay $80-90 for an old cessna. At academies you will pay over $200 an hour for a multi, while those cost about $150 at an FBO. As crazy as these prices are, the place where these academies make their money is ground school. If you take the hours of ground school divided by the total cost, it works out to like $20 an hour for a class of 10-20 people. That's too much!

The fact is you will get the same amount of training in the same amount of time at a local FBO. The biggest difference is you will save $20-30k on your training. Having a loan for $30k more when you are a first officer at a regional airline is a BAD situation.

So I would recommend not going to American Flyers. If you have money to spend, look at an airline academy like Flight Safety or ATP. Otherwise, find an FBO near your home. Make sure they have a decent fleet or aircraft, a good instructor who can fly as often as you need, and reasonable rates. FBO's are the way to go!