View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Pontius Pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: CRJ FO

Originally Posted by noob View Post
Hi everyone, im very new to the flying thing and wanted to know a bit about the regional and major airlines. Is there that big of a difference between the two? Would I be happy flying for a regional airline for the rest of my life or is it that much better being in a major airline company? what are the differences in pay, hours worked, and work scheduling? any information would be great! thanks for your posts.
I'll try and be helpful here...

Only you will be able to tell if you'll be happy flying for a regional for the rest of your life. When you get there, let us know. Most people use the regionals as a stepping stone to the majors. Regionals traditionally have lower pay, shorter overnights and other not so great things. Look at the page that shows you the payscales and you'll see what I'm talking about. After 4 years at American Eagle you'll be making $37 an hour on a jet. 4 years with American and you're looking at $92, $108 after 4 years with Southwest. So you can see the pay is miles apart.

I know a lot of people who have made regionals their life. More by circumstance than choice. In the end what will matter is 1. Do you enjoy what you're doing? 2. Are there bases where you want to live 3. Is the money you're making good enough for you? 4. Is the working environment good? Other than that, the only one who can answer your question well enough will be you once you get there!!

Good luck to you.