Thread: Netjets Letter
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 11:49 AM
NJA Capt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Left Front

Originally Posted by 757upspilot View Post
I like to keep up with whats going on outside of my area. Gives me an idea where the next batch of people might come from. The fractional business is new compared to most of what are called airlines. Its interesting to see how far it will grow before it becomes large enough to attract the government, cut throat competition, a private equity outfit thats going to take it apart or get sold off.
I'd say you're a few years behind.

Let me catch you up:
...to see how far it will grow before it becomes large enough to attract the government.

The FAA got involved in 1999.
In October 1999, the FAA convened the Fractional Ownership Aviation Rulemaking Committee (FOARC), consisting of twenty-seven representatives of a cross section of the business aviation and on-demand charter industries, foreign civil aviation authorities, the DOT and the FAA. Aviation Advisor Jul 18 01

...cut throat competition?
Several frac providers have already tried low fee programs. As a matter of fact, Flight Options began as a "used plane" low cost alternative to NetJets.

...a private equity outfit thats going to take it apart or get sold off.
Once again...already happened. OPTS was sold to HIG Capital in 2007.
Flight Options was acquired in November 2007 by H.I.G. Capital, LLC, a leading global private equity firm with more than $4 billion of equity capital under management. H.I.G. specializes in acquiring companies with great growth potential and helping them achieve their goals. H.I.G. support and investment will allow Flight Options to build on its success as the most innovative company in private aviation.
Flight Options: Private aircraft programs on a higher plane: Programs: FAQs
Flight Options cuts nearly 200 jobs, including 75 pilots - Cleveland Business News ? The Latest Breaking News, Earnings Reports and Stories from The Plain Dealer

The fractional business is new compared to most of what are called airlines.
NetJets original company (EJA) was founded in 1964. NetJets program was founded in 1986. Two years before UPS received its Air Carrier Certificate (1988). NJA currently operates over 500 more a/c that UPS.

Last edited by NJA Capt; 09-01-2008 at 12:13 PM.