Old 09-01-2008, 05:31 PM
vagabond
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172
Default Alaska Airlines to cut as many as 165 pilots

From KING5:
SEATTLE - We're learning this Labor Day weekend that as many as 165 Alaska Airlines pilots will lose their jobs.

High fuel prices have put the nation's airlines in a jam. After charging extra for baggage and cutting out meals, employees are next. Alaska Airlines is cutting flights and crews.

Alaska Airlines says it may cut up to five percent of its flights this fall and winter, and perhaps another five percent early next year.

“Fortunately, I missed it, so for now at least, I'll be safe,” said David Campbell, Alaska Airlines pilot. “But I am the typical guy who's getting furloughed. It's mid 30s, generally starting a family. I had a guy in my office last week who just moved here from Texas and was about to close on his house, and is thinking he should probably back out of the deal.”

Campbell is an Alaska pilot and spokesman for the union, the Airline Pilots Association. During our interview, he was also caring for his four-year-old son. He's been an Alaska pilot for six years. The union says those with two years and less seniority are vulnerable.

“What we are really hopeful about in the Airline Pilots Association that we can reduce the number of needed furloughs,” said Campbell.

“What we are doing with the union is offering them three different options to minimize that number. We are offering to work with them on one and two year leaves of absence, as well as early retirement,” said Paul McElroy, Alaska Airlines spokesman.

Just how many flights Alaska ends up cutting and just how many pilots take advantage of these special offers could greatly influence the number of pilots who have to sit on the ground without a paycheck.

It could have been worse. Alaska is adding flights to Hawaii and Minnesota, but it's the flights around the fringes that are getting cancelled, such as red-eyes and some weekend flights that lose too much money.

The airline is also trying to figure out how many other jobs it will need to cut, such as flight attendants and gate personnel.