View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 11:49 AM
CSLewis
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by dontsurf
1. "Block or better" or just "block" pay?
Block or better
2. Cancellation guarantee of some type (i.e. percentage of line guarantee, etc.)
If anything on your schedule gets cancelled, you still get the full pay for it.
3. What is the average line built to? Some contracts have a minimum average line, like 85 hours or something.
Minimum guarantee for Brasilia is 80 hrs/mo. CRJ is 75 hrs/mo.
4. How long spent on reserve?
Depends on which airplane, and more heavily on which domicile. If you don't care much where you're based, you can hold a line pretty quick out of class, especially with as many pilots going through training as there are. However, if you're dead-set on being based somewhere like San Diego or another senior base, you can be on reserve for a very long time.
5. Hours needed to upgrade into captain in the EMB and the CRJ? And do you get extra credit for hours flown for Skywest?
Required to have at least 1000 hrs of time with the company "or equivilent" which basically means airline/crew experience.
6. Do a lot of people move on from Skywest to jetblue, southwest, etc.?
There's been about 20-30 per month leaving for places like Southwest, JetBlue, FedEx, Frontier, Alaska, etc.
7. Bonus for volunteering on days off or going over a certain number of hours?
You can get time-and-a-half for picking up flying on a day off. Number of hours is no factor.
8. Do a lot of Skywest pilots commute? Are there a large number of commutable lines?
I've flown with a lot of pilots that commute. I don't know if I'd say there's a "large number" of commutable lines, but it seems like the commuters usually find something that works for them. It's like anywhere though, the more junior you are, the less trips you have to choose from, so commuting while very junior may not work out to well.