View Single Post
Old 07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
dontsurf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: A220 CA

Wow, thank you very much for that quick and complete reply. I really appreciate it. If I could get just a little clarification on the items below, it would be great. Thanks again!
Originally Posted by CSLewis
Minimum guarantee for Brasilia is 80 hrs/mo. CRJ is 75 hrs/mo.
I'm sorry...I didn't ask this very well. I was trying to find out what the lines are really built to every month. I see those are the guarantees for pay, but is there an average to which the lines are built? I know one company has a monthly guarantee of 74 hours, but their contract specifies that lines have to be built to an average of 80 hours or something like that. In other words, for a given domicile and position, if there are 100 lines, some of them will be below 80 hours, and some will be above, but they have to average at least 80 hours.

A better way to ask it might be: in your experience with your lines, what amount of flying do you generally get as a line pilot per month?

Depends on which airplane, and more heavily on which domicile. If you don't care much where you're based, you can hold a line pretty quick out of class, especially with as many pilots going through training as there are. However, if you're dead-set on being based somewhere like San Diego or another senior base, you can be on reserve for a very long time.
I can appreciate that variety. Just roughly, what would the breakdown be of Skywest's bases as far as "junior" base to "senior" base? I see that San Diego is considered a "senior" base, in roughly what order would they be ranked in that respect?

There's been about 20-30 per month leaving for places like Southwest, JetBlue, FedEx, Frontier, Alaska, etc.
Wow, that's great. Making room for people to move up.

Oh, two other questions I forgot:

1. Is there a contract or anything for training?

2. What determines EMB or CRJ, and do they tell you that when they hire you or not until you start class?

Again, thank you very much.

Last edited by dontsurf; 07-06-2006 at 02:35 PM.