View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default True

Originally Posted by Flying Ninja
I think "for the love of flying" applies to some people. You have to recognize that some folks out there are trust fund babies and have had things handed to them on a platter. Not mentioning any names but I know folks from CAPT that had their entire tuition PAID IN FULL and their COST OF LIVING paid in full. And to add to the silver platter, they have significant others that work and make good money. At the end of the day, you got these pilots that see $18K for that first year as a non issue. They don't have to worry about paying bills or eating like crap to save money. So in essence, they're doing it because of their love of flying.

For the rest of us who had to beg, borrow, steal, and murder to get the money to enter the industry, yeah, that whole love of flying also applies. Why else would we beg, borrow, steal, and murder to get the money to get into flying if we don't love it?

The fundamental absurdity is paying a tremendous amount of money to make a tremendously low salary. You can make six figures driving a truck, or you can become a cop, do next to nothing (not to say all cops do this), and be guaranteed a great salary and a guaranteed pension. I know cops on Long Island that makes six figures, have days off, do next to nothing (because animal crime is low on the island vs. city), and they are guaranteed a sick pension plan after 20 years (you can do more years if you want).

So if it isn't for the love of flying, I don't know why anyone would want to do this. It certainly isn't for the money. Not unless you make it into the majors or cargo.
Ninja,

You have a good point. It seems more often that big university flight programs are playgrounds for wealthy kids who are trying to avoid real work. I think we could make a killing by opening an adventure sports college. Perhaps you could be the dean and we could have majors like Masters of Skiing and a B.S. in motor sports. However we still have pilots complaining about their student loans so some must be getting into flying with false expectations.

At my last airline we use to fly into JFK. We stayed in the Howard Johnson's near Rockefeller Center. Those days I spent on self guided walking tours of NYC were about the best and only thing I got out of my career.

SkyHigh