View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Marvin
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: B-737 Right

Originally Posted by acl65pilot View Post
FWIW as a FO on third year pay on the 767 at DAL the hourly rate is going to be around 96 per hr on Jan 1st. Not that bad, and better than 95% of all regional jobs. Do not forget the DC plan and 401K that will add another 10-15K to your retirement acct.
Needless to say, when I ran the numbers, long term the airline side of things will be better than any corporate job. The trick is to survive the next few years.
Pulling out my tarot cards to see what the next few years holds ...

My timing could not have been worse. I retired from USAF at the beginning of the year and interviewed with AirTran and jetBlue. Got hired by AT and JB (with class dates), and then oil prices skyrocketed. Now I'm in their "pilot pools" .... who knows when they will call?

Now that SW is interviewing, enough time has passed that I no longer have the recency of experience they require for an interview (I would have been ok when I first retired, but ... they were not interviewing).

So, I'll be starting a new non-flying job soon. I'll plan to keep the option open when (if?) AT/JB call, but I'm not holding my breath.