Old 09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
ryguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B777 FO

Originally Posted by SuperLolo View Post
Ry/Nate.

Can you tell us about:

What does it take to be "suitable" for ugrade? As I understand, you have to be Cat A'd to upgrade. What if you are Cat B or worse C?

Is it true that you have to go through an interview to upgrade?

What is the star chamber?

ERAS?
I'm not sure what it takes to be suitable for upgrade. You do something called a PCA, which is a sim and a sit down. They are looking for company precedure and knowledge etc. as well as command potential. The reason thay give is that if they don't think you'll make it then it is best to know before you get half way through. That's the reason and explanation they gave us. That said there are several Americans that are CAT A waiting on a class date.

I know the SOs go through an interview to move to FO as well but it is nothing to worry about from what I understand.

The star chamber is a group of training managers that meets to go over the upgrade training history and previous history. If you pass everything else they can still bounce you back based on something in your training. This is one of the things the new blood is trying to tame down.

ERAS is no longer used, it has been replaced with another similar system. After every training event you can view your comments and file online so you know what's in it. They are just like the training records at any other outfit except here we can actually look at it anytime we want.

Hope that answered your questions!