View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
jtf560
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

The good jobs in aviation turn on a dime. I work for NJA, but I have no idea if it will still be golden in the future. 10 years ago when I was in flight school I was sure I would be flying for United by now. Then 9/11 and general airline mismanagement have left me wanting nothing to do with any of them. We have a great contract now, but it looks great mostly because the airlines have been so beaten down that we now have similar pay. We have a contract now that will probably be in force for at least another 7 or 8 years and nobody knows how much shine it will have then. As far as working for NJA in a corporate capacity to get cheap rates for the flight training, I would say that may be a very good idea as long as you don't plan on just buying your time instead of working a pilot job to get the flight experience. If that is your plan I would suggest not paying any more now for your training until you get the job. Spending a year at NJA and finishing your training cheaply (while also earning a paycheck and great benefits) would be good for whatever you chose in the future since it would probably help get an interview at NJA eventually if it is still a good job and it would also help you to not be so far in the hole for training costs before you start the low paid entry level pilot jobs where you build the time to get to the next level. Good luck whatever you decide.