View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 08:10 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Chase87
I know this one will get hit hard as all the other have in this forum. I was hoping to ask some questions (Sits back and expects the worst) about the Delta Connection Academy. (Yes, I've taken the time to research all the topics regarding DCA). I found that, most of the complaints regarding DCA was the cost with a few mentions of being "talked down to".

My thing is this, alot of these posts I read were, "He said, she said, they said, I read" kinda thing. Very few were from actual students. I understand that alot of people may have lost a great respect from DCA, but I'm just trying to find the best solution to get to where I want to be. With money being no factor (Yes, no factor in this case) - is DCA an academy that will succeed in getting me hopefully to the regionals with a strong dedication and motivation? I've checked out the other schools and ATP seems to be a top competitor. However, it's too much like a chain (Or so it appears). If someone can give me factual advice (Other then cost figures) about why this academy is the worst, I would like to hear it. As I stated above, I'm looking for a guality, brand-name (Yes, I am a devoted Delta member, lol) flight school (Not FBO) that will help achieve my goals. Also, I saw alot of posts regarding the hiring and pay that these airlines offer. I'm not looking to be the next second richest person or even close. I do however, want to fly. My schedule is VERY flexible. If I was a DCA student I would be devoted 100% for the entire two years without question. No job, just the academy. All finances paid. So, after being very flexible, not worried about cost, or what pay a job can offer me down the road... is there anything else? Another reason why I should not attend this academy? Or better off, why should I attend another school?

Thanks taking the time to read this guys. I appreaciate it and not trying to set off any sparks. I've loved flying and regardless of what school I believe I will attend, I know I will make it some how. Just gathering more opinions. Thanks again!

-Chase
If money is no object, do Flight Safety. They are THE source for turbine training in many, many airplane types for most corporate and 135 operators, and some small airlines. They are highly regarded in the industry and very unlikely to sc#w you over. Luckily you for you, they also happen to do entry-level training also. My knowledge is limited to the turbine side, but their reputation precedes them.

All of the "glossy brochure" academies take advantage of newcomers who assume that a professional-looking operation is better. This is not really true in general aviation for some reason. The "academies" make gobs of money by selling you the same training you get anywhere else, packaging it in new paint and shiny facilities, and charging two or three times what it's worth. Once you are there, realize what's going on, and try to get your money back the real fun begins! They will threaten to ruin your flying career by giving a bad recomendation on future reference checks; they will say "quiters" don't have what it takes to succeed in the airline industry. Unfortunately, airlines WILL check out your background, and there is some risk that a school COULD actually damage your job prospects down the road if they really wanted to trash talk you. This is all a standard formula that has worked for years in the that industry.

ATP appears to be the most cost affective of the large schools, and I haven't heard about any strong arm tactics on their part. I have done only a small amount of training there.

I understand the tremendous appeal that a large, shiny organization has to a newbie like yourself (that is what to the academies do best, sell themselves), but If you do not listen to the folks who have experience and 20/20 hindsight you will be back on this forum in 2-3 years with a whole different attitude!

Last edited by rickair7777; 07-14-2006 at 08:14 AM.