View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 02:59 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default U-2 Landings and Chase

I got to ride in the chase vehicle in Saudi in 1996. This was at Taif; the chase car was a Ford Mustang.

The vehicle doesn't actually have to be that fast: the U-2 is, after all, a glider with a big jet engine in it. I think approach speeds are about 70-80 kts; we didn't go over 75 on the day I rode shotgun. We held on the approach end taxiway until the U-2 was about 1000 ft short of the threshold, then he floored it and we chased about 100 ft in trail.

The reason it is tough to land (as explained by the chase driver; a U-2 IP): the nose is long and you can't see over it; you're in a pressure suit/helmet and have limited peripheral vision, but mostly, is that the airplane is landed in a full-stall; ideally from 1 ft of altitude or less, with both bicycle trucks level with each other. Non-level, you get a progressive porpoise that can destroy the airplane, and higher than 1-2 ft, the impact is too great.

On rollout, the pilot kept the wings level down to a ridiculously low speed (I would estimate 20 kts); then the wing dropped, and it slid a short distance on the frangible droop that IIICorps pointed out.

The ground troops installed the pogos (easily lifting the wing by hand), and then the pilot taxied in.

It was interesting to see frost on the wings where there was still fuel. This was Feb in Saudi, and about 80 degrees. The fuel, cold-soaked from flight in the bozo-sphere, causes water vapor to sublimate directly to frost in the descent.

I never realized this until I read a book about the Skunk Works and their airplanes, but most of the fuselage of the U-2 is borrowed from the F-104. (Cockpit and aft to the wing trailing edge).