View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Diver Driver
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Tiki bar

Originally Posted by widebodyjunkie View Post
(1) On an average basis, how long does it take a FO to upgrade to a captains chair at a regional? I've heard a lot of instructors say that is only takes a couple of years, but I've read on some other forums that it can take up to five years....any truth to that?

It largely depends on how much attrition occurs at the airline and how much growth the airline experiences. At some regionals the wait to be senior enough to upgrade can be as long as 8-10 years and others it might be right after you get hired... it all just depends. There are so many factors that contribute to progression at a given carrier, just know that if regional A is hiring street captains today, they might be furloughing tomorrow... the industry is that cyclical.

(2) is it true that if you should happen to leave an airline or even become furloughed, that you have to completely start over with another airline in terms of pay? what about if you already typed in one aircraft and you get hired by another airline flying the same aircraft....do they still start you over at first year pay? Even if you have years of experience already built up?

YES! This is indicative of all airlines. If you change airlines, whether that be move up to a mainline carrier or switch regionals, you will be at the bottom of that seniority list and be at year one pay. Even though you might have been captain with 10 years seniority at your previous carrier making 75K/yr, you would find yourself as junior FO making 20K/yr if you switch regional carriers. It is just how the system works. In the corporate world, there is a little more leverage for wage negotiation based on experience... if you can land a corporate gig, take it! These tend to be the most stable positions in aviation.

(3) Furlough to my understanding is basically a temporary lay off, in which you basically are still employed by the airline you just don't get paid and you don't fly....correct? So...on an average basis, how long would you guess an pilot would be on furlough at a regional? I would assume it depends on the airlines revenue as well as economic factors, but is it very often that you can expect to be furloughed for more than a year?

Your basic assumptions of a furlough are correct, you are essentially laid off. You turn in your company badge and manuals and you do not fly or get paid during this time for that carrier. Usually you keep flight and health benefits anywhere from a month to 3 months after your furlough but then you are on your own. Furloughs can be short or last a long time. When Comair furloughed in 2005, everybody was back on the property in 3 months. The furlough coming up at Comair, which I am unfortunately going to be apart of could be 3 months, a year, or indefinite... who knows... American airlines, I think still has pilots out on the street from the fall out of 9/11.. so they could last years.

(4) currently, I don't have a degree. I am a software engineer and have been in the business for over 7 years. Is that going to someday limit my exposure to airlines that will actually hire me? Say Southwest or Delta? I know that many of the majors and legacys look for degrees, but are they willing to look at overall work experience instead of rather or not you have a piece of paper from a university?

To answer your question directly, yes. It will hamper your ability to get hired at a major airline. It still isnt impossible, but highly unlikely in todays competitive market. Whatever you do, get your degree. Even do it online part time if you have to. That piece of paper on your wall will pay you great dividends someday it may help you get on at a major or help you land a non flying job if you get furloughed or your airline goes under.

(5) Reserve time I interpret is the amount of hours the airline pays you for each month regardless of how much you fly? And can someone please help me understand what is the difference between being on reserve, verses a line holder, and whatever other "holder" there is in between? That's all over my head and I can't find a forum that explains it in detail.

Reserve guarantee is the amount of pay you are guaranteed per month regardless of how much you work. At my airline, Comair, it is 75 hours of pay per month. When you are on reserve, you are on call. They will use you to cover trips that lineholders call in sick for or if the weather is bad, you will pick up misconnect flights at a hub. You will also do maintenance repositioning flights in the middle of the night, or charters during the day. You will do a lot of different type of flying when you are on reserve. If you are a line holder, you basically have a set schedule for the upcoming month. The schedule will usually consist of four, four-day trips or 5, 3-day trips... etc. You will then show up, fly your trip and go home. Holding a line is nice because you are not a slave to the pager, but you traditionally fly more when you are a line holder (75-95 flight hours/month), so it can wear you out if you are used to only flying 30 or so hours a month while on reserve.

Any airline pilots out there....I'd appreciate your tips and answers.
I hope this information helps you out and clears up some of your questions. Good luck on your flying career... it is a tough and long road... one I have been driving down for the past 6 years since I was 17 flying cessnas. It certainly has been hard getting to this point... all to see it fall apart in front of me, but hopefully things will turn around in this industry sometime soon. Good luck and fly safe!