View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Florida Flyer
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: CRJ FO
Default Delta Connection Academy

I am going to take a slightly different perspective than the people who have replied so far. First, let me say that I was a student and instructor at SFB DCA. I completed my private at a local FBO and did the vast majority of my instrument training at the FBO too. The previous posters who say that you get a quality education at DCA are not exaggerating. Since I completed most of my IFR training at an FBO, I took the ground school inst. course and did an abbreviated part 61 inst. course at DCA. The comparison between the instructors' knowledge and training techniques at DCA vs the FBO were night and day. Granted, I do not dispute that good CFIIs can be found at some FBOs, but the fact that each DCA instructor is rigorously standardized greatly conributes to a uniform, quality product. (It's hit or miss at an FBO). If you'd like to save some money, might I suggest getting your PVT and part of your inst rating at an FBO, then finishing your inst. rating and other ratings at DCA. I did it and I feel that I still got a good education.

I would also like to address the comment that one should not be in a hurry to earn one's ratings now since not many airlines are hiring. That is true...for NOW. Hiring cycles come and go, and unfortunately, it appears we may be in a hiring down swing for quite some time. SO...why go to DCA? Like I told my students (and I still quite thoroughly believe it)....having instructional experience at DCA (or other quality institutions) is an insurance policy that increases your odds of getting hired by certain regional airlines when hiring is meager. I have witnessed it personally many times. Instructors from DCA were getting hired at Comair, ASA, and Chautauqua when the industry in general was stagnating. Is it a GUARANTEE that someone will hire you? NO!!! BUT it greatly increases your odds. I have personally witnessed an individual in HR call a pilot recruiter in CVG for Comair and have a DCA instructor's application plucked out of the thousands on file to be given an interview (and he was hired). It is NOT an exaggeration to say you have connections at DCA.

But in the end, it's a gamble. If times are tight when you're interviewing at a regional, your DCA experience may very well get you a job months before others. But if times are good, it probably won't make THAT much of a difference where you got your hours. And for those that say, "Why go tens of thousands of dollars in debt to get hired a few months earlier?"...the answer is simple. Seniority at any airline is KING. Being hired in September 07 at the airline I currently work for means I have a job. If I were hired in December, I'd be collecting unemployment on furlough. If I had been hired in August, I'd be a regular line holder (I'm holding build up lines now). SO timing is everything....take every advantage you can...get your ratings and experience at DCA (or other reputable institution) and be ready for whatever the hiring environment may be like in the future.

I hope my perspective is helpful. I wish you well in your aviation career and hope the best for you whatever route you decide to take. If you'd like to talk more about DCA, feel free to PM me and I'll try my best to assist you. But also listen to what others have to say so that you can have balanced understanding of all your options!

Good Luck!

Florida Flyer