View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 05:01 AM
gtippin
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2008

When I was a hungry CFI i was faced with a similliar situation ( 1949 model B35 v tail ) the owner a retired lawyer approached me about a bfr. In our brief meeting he bragged to me about having never paid more than $250.00 for an annual. I asked to see his logbooks he got very indignant and stormed out. Another CFI who had a local reputation for flying with anyone in anything took him on. Shortly after they took off the aircraft devloped a severe vibration r so they reduced airspeed returned. The first thing our DOM found was the V tail would move up and down several inches. Then he found the skin just ahead of the tail ripped. When the tail was opened up the heavy mounts for the tail had failed. Beach factory engineers said that they were seconds from losing the tail and the quick action of reducing airspeed had saved them. During the investigation it was found some of the hoses on the airplane were from the early 50's and this occured in the late 90's. That all being said Please for your own good dont ever get so desperate for flying experience that you turn off your good common sense.

PS: this person tried to sue Beech for bad enginering and was laughed out of court when Beech's report showed years of pencile whipped maint.