View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 PM
PearlPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: DHC-8 SIC
Default Preparing for a lesson

Today I tried something completely different before my 12 P.M. lesson. I woke up early, went to the library, reviewed everything in peace, and drove to the FBO, got a cup of coffee and felt great. I felt much confident than the last time, when I woke up an hour before the lesson and rushed to the airport. I did all my homework, impressed my instructor with the stuff that I learned. I am a book worm, love studying, taking tests, etc. I plan well, take good notes, sometimes, I even make my own tests. I learned these skills from my 4 years of college. It works for me, so I am applying them for flight school as well. But, all this book work I did, did not make me fly better today. Although I remembered and memorized the procedure for slow flight, power on and off stalls etc. when I performed them, it took me 2 or 3 tries to make a satisfactory maneuver. I learn by doing, rather than by observing. I understand that your rusty areas gets better by repeatedly performing them. But am I missing something here? I want to be as good on the airplane as I am on the book work. Would buying a flight sim help me in polishing up these skills? Am I worrying too much at this pre-solo stage? Any help is appreciated.