View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 07:13 PM
CA1900
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by ExperimentalAB View Post
Alrighty...after giving dozens of rides to NetJets Pilots over the last couple of years...
You say, "giving dozens of rides," as if you're doing it out of kindness. We're paying passengers, not jumpseaters, and not non-revs. Indeed, we're usually some of the highest-paying, last-minute, one-way coach customers you have.

Today flying into ORD, for example, I smiled and nodded to the NetJets Captain walking off my aircraft and still he did not so much as look up!
Maybe he didn't see you nod and smile? Maybe his assignment changed and he was reading his pager? Maybe he was dog tired after a long day and didn't feel "chatty"? Maybe his back wouldn't straighten out from that godawful RJ seat? Maybe he's just a jerk? We have a few; every company does.

So I'm just curious, NetJets folks, why no respect? Does it matter that you're not jumpseating, but paying passengers? You're in uniform. You're Pilots.
Yes, as a matter of fact, it does matter that we're not jumpseating. We're in uniform because we're required to be.

Look, I'll have a kind word for any crewmember I run into, be it a pilot or FA, but I'm not going to go out of my way to introduce myself, block the aisle, ask for a ride, etc. I usually say "hi" on the way in, and "thanks" on the way out, to any crewmembers I happen to pass. I do that whether or not I'm in uniform.

Don't take it as a personal affront. When we ride on the airlines, we're processed like cattle, just as your other customers are. An airline terminal automatically means we're not in the best of moods!