Old 10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
LivingInMEM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Ja189 View Post
Did you really just say that the framework or the format of CRM in an RJ is the same as that in a Cessna. Wow!! ...blah...blah....blah...

My 10-yr old daughter shares a common characteristic with young pilots such as this guy, they have no idea how much they don't know. You show your ignorance when you post what you do - hey, we all started out as neophytes, but we didn't all think we knew it all. How naive are you to believe that a 350-hr pilot is no better than a 5000-hr pilot? It's called experience and over a 5,000 hr career, there are bound to be learning experiences along the way. It works for doctors, cops, plumbers, etc,...you learn from experience and a 350-hr pilot has relatively none.

Just because anyone passes IOE for a regional does not mean that he is the real deal. And it also does not mean that he/she isn't actually increasing the workload for the Capt when the chips are down.

As far as your systems monitoring comments go, I am fairly confident I won't want you up front if those systems start going downhill (2 engine flameout, complete loss of electric, etc) or if the weather starts going south (T-storms, unforecast severe icing, low vis down to mins, low vis below mins with a divert required, low vis below mins with gas at or just below bingo and everyone promising that legal wx is just minutes away, etc). When you look at several of the last regional mishaps, in most cases the argument can be made that they would not have occurred with more experienced pilots at the controls (dual engine flameout too slow/too high, takeoff on wrong runway, runway incursion issues). Oh wait, these are things Capts and F/O's wanting to be Capt's concern themselves with - and your comments in no way resemble a Capt's mentality.

It just so happens that AOPA magazine did an article about 0 to RJ right seat in 200 hrs. To that I say, just because it can be done does not mean that it should be done. To the original poster, my criticism is leveled to the people making the hiring decisions. If the norm becomes getting hired at 200 hrs, and you think that you are as good or better than the avg 200 hr pilot, and that is what you want to do - go for it. You boycotting the practice will not change the practice - get hired and focus on becoming the best future Capt you can be.