View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 12:58 PM
NowCorporate
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
#1 - Get the hell out of Florida. The market down there is saturated with pilots and while jobs are somewhat plentiful when economic times are good, there are too many people willing to work for peanuts and too many airplanes/jobs based around real estate and market fluctations to, in my non-Floridian opinion, to have sustainability. This is the hardest thing to do for a multitude of reasons (believe me, I know!) but be prepared to move for an opportunity.

#2 - Reestablish those connections you have lost. You know enough that networking is KEY, so get started on it right away. Don't go after it asking to get a job, but renew those relationships and convey what you want and are looking for. People talk and will either drop your name or introduce you to more people, and the network grows. Websites like BizAvCentral and ************* are great ways to do this online, and both are full of charter/corporate pilots.

#3 - Emphasize your customer service skills and history to everyone you speak with. That is MUCH more important than your flight qualifications once you get beyond a basic level (say 2500tt and perhaps an ATP).

#4 - As dn_wisconsin said, keep flying where you are, as much as you can get/stand. If you're low time you need as much quality experience in your logbook as possible for insurance requirements.

#5 - Did I mention networking?

GOOD LUCK!

Great advice above!

You HAVE to be where the jobs are to be minimally in the game.

Making the jump right now might be a tough move, there is very little hiring going on, and there are more corporate pilots in need of work than in the last few years.

Good Luck!