View Single Post
Old 10-25-2008, 12:00 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Combinations

Originally Posted by N5139 View Post
I agree and disagree at the same time. If your spouse is a white collar professional, there is a likelihood (whether it's high or low depends on the job, of course) that they might have to relocate for promotion. Having the ability to commute invariably affords that spouse the ability to realize their professional aspirations without a landslide compromise of the pilot's career. QOL compromise? Of course. However, I several couples that seem quite happy and content because a move wasn't a career-ender for one of the individuals.
Sometimes moves can work however as children get older and careers more established it is not so easy. Inevitably the pilot will have to find a new job or get a base change. The constant parade of new cities and towns make it increasingly difficult for the family to follow as time goes on. Eventually a conflict will most likely occur.

Commuting can turn a 19 day off line into a 8 days at home. I know of a SWA captain who has spent most of the last 14 years living in an old motor home in the crew parking lot. He commutes to work and has been on reserve a lot and instead of a crash pad chooses to spent his time in the RV in a dusty parking lot.

Skyhigh