View Single Post
Old 10-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
Carl,

One of my basic objections to the NW proposed DOH list is that any new equipment that comes on property will be filled by a former NW pilot and could very well move a DL pilot who is currently on that equipment down and possibly off that equipment.

Example: Per the NW proposed fence, I believe 290 777 capt positions are fenced. Say in 5 years we now have 350 capt positions on the 777. They will all be filled by NW pilots because of a DOH list and NW getting 1500 of the top 1800 positions(approx) and thereby inhibiting any movement for the DL side and pushing DL pilots that were already on that equipment more junior.
That of course would be unacceptable. Thankfully, the NWA fences don't say what you think they say. Here are the relevant excerpts from the NWA proposal: (paragraph 5A is where the 280 777 capt positions and all the other protected positions are listed)

All positions shall be allocated to the pilot group entitled to the quota in subparagraph 5.A. until the quota is filled. Positions in excess of the number reserved above will be shared equally on a 1 to 1 basis. Any reduction in the number of B767/757 Captain positions below the quota level specified in paragraph 5.A.vi. above will be accomplished on a ratio of 3:1.

Now these aircraft are not on firm order but our agreement with Boeing is different than most and has been explained before. Your Merger committee also wants to fence off 315 Capt positions on the 787 that wont be delivered for, at the least, a year and probably not until 2010.
I hope the 315 figure of 787 capts comports with the current 777 capt list plus all 777 on firm order. If it doesn't, that would need to be corrected by NWALPA.

I guess my problem comes from being able to envision any new widebody capt positions going to former NW pilots, and I will qualify it, ALMOST exclusively and thereby hindering any pre-merger DL pilots advancement to these positions that would have been available to them.

Denny
I hope what I've posted alleviates your misconceptions Denny. As I keep saying, the NWA 10 year fence protects DAL pilot's seniority for 10 years, AND shares any growth on either side on a 1 for 1 basis.

Carl