View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 04:08 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by WEACLRS View Post
I'm incorrect here. As an SIC you may log the condition of the flight, including instrument conditions. You may not log the approach for currency requirements unless you actually manipulated the controls (it was your leg).
I think you're incorrect here also:
To log Pilot-in-Command time you must be in one of two situations. You must be the pilot designated as pilot-in-command as defined in 14 CFR part 1.1.
f you are designated by the company as the PIC for the return part 91 flight, and you're appropriately rated (which you would be), then you can log the flight as pilot-in-command, flight time, night, instrument, etc
It sounds like you are saying that acting as PIC as defined by FAR 1.1 (Part 1 PIC) is sufficient for logging PIC time. That's the part I think is incorrect.

I think the universe of logging PIC is contained in 61.51 and that, unless you fit into a 61.51 "box", there is no basis for logging FAA PIC time (for certificates, ratings or currency) just by being the "Part 1 PIC. "

There are only 61.51 boxes for a non-flying Part 1 PIC to log PIC time:
  • "acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted." 61.51(e)(1)(iii)
  • an ATP "while acting as pilot-in-command of an operation requiring an airline transport pilot certificate." 61.51(e)(2)
Neither of these would even be necessary if there was blanket authority to log PIC time by simply being the Part 1 PIC.

The FAA issue is complete different from the employment issue where many pilots log all of their Part 1 PIC in a separate column to have numbers that show their experience being responsible for the aircraft and the flight (rather than the time when, as a brand new private pilot who had only flown a CE-152, his uncle let him be the "sole manipulator of the flight controls" of his Meridian for .2).

BTW, I think the rest of your explanation is not only technically spot on but written in a style that is very clear and easy to follow.