View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 AM
Rhino Driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 73N CA

How about NO! Better yet, just nationalize (socialize) the seniority list of the regional carriers. That way, it will give guys even more incentive to stay at the lower level of this profession and not move up. (SARCASM)

NO FLAME BAIT, just here it out. This would be better for all in the long run.

The demise of this profession rest with the regional pilot. The guy who is willing to accept 60-70K as a CAREER regional captain for doing what he should be paid a heck of a lot more for.

I once asked a buddy of mine (RJ CA), shortly after I was hired, if he was thinking about stepping up to the majors while hiring was HOT. His response was that he didn't want to start over for less pay and he was comfortable with his current position and salary as a career.

The best way to bring this profession back to where it should be, is to cap the maximum regional pay to that of the lowest FO pay of the majors. That will kill the incentive to stay at the lower end of the spectrum.

This will create more turn-over at the regional level and make it less profitable for the smaller airlines. Cap the regional carriers to short haul flights with smaller aircraft and make them truly commuter airlines.

Bring anything over 70 seats to the mainline carriers, creating more hiring in the upper spectrum.

The CA of a 70+ seat MAINLINE RJ, should be paid more than the highest paid 747 FO.

You want to restore this profession, stop considering a job as a regional RJ CA a career expectation. The regionals used to be considered a stepping stone, not a final stop. As long as WE are willing to accept the current system, nothing is going to change.

Mainline pilots need to take back scope, and regional pilots need to strive to keep climbing the ladder. Best way to help that is to lower the maximum pay at the regionals, and bring anything over 70 seats back to mainline at mainline wages!

Now stop this national seniority stuff. I work for a SPECIFIC airline, not ALPA.