Thread: MAXjet Hiring
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM
MAXjetPilot767
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: B767 Captain

Again the natures of their departures are private and rightfully so. It would not be professional to discuss them here or in any forum. MAXjet is no different that any other airline in that certain behavior would not be considered appropriate or tolerable. Certainly any such inappropriate behavior conducted in a public manner at large, outside the chain-of-command, and beyond just flight operations really leaves little outcome in such matters. It is safe to say that in most cases such acts would take the ability of a supervisor to protect his subordinates from themselves, even if they did not deserve the protection. In fact a majority of MAXjet pilots would argue that those who make such decisions at MAXjet are more tolerant and soft-handed than most, almost to a fault and to a point to which their judgment would be questioned by inaction. No one at MAXjet was happy to see anyone depart and the ones who had to make the decsions were the saddest of all.

It is a misrepresentation of truth to say the pilots recieved no counciling, which in fact they did directly and indirectly through their friends and peers. Unfortunately it did not change the course of events. Again there is always two sides to any story and unless you 1st party to an event you can be 100% sure you don't know, have not heard 100%, or have seen 100% of the entire situation.

There has been no precedent set, and MAXjet pilots routinely voice opinions on a variety of matters. Almost everyone to a person believes something could be done better in some facet or process of the company just as anywhere. The only requirement are the universal ones of professional decorum, respect and patience. Any reasonable person understands that a new airline has a very lean infrastructure at the beginning, and things that have priority(ETOPS, Cargo, Records, Conformity, etc.) are handled first and any procedure in use that is FAA approved and accepted that could possibly be done better will be handled but will come as workload permits. MAXjet rank and file are given the opportunity to work on projects they would like to come to fruition but at this point in time would have to volunteer days off and time away from home at HDQ to make it happen. If someone can do it great, if not that is fine as well and understood(no one is expected to work on days off) but if it is something MAXjet already has approval and acceptance on, it will be handled in priority.

MAXjet has pilots from all over that have seen many different companies and several from TWA where ETOPS was devised and would agree that MAXjet operates procedurally just as well as most, better than a lot, and that is despite being less than a year old. Improvement comes with time, product refinement, and the infrastructure that is built along with company growth. It would be unrealistic to expect things at new entrant airline with a handful of airplanes to work the same way or as quickly as one with seventy years of history or infrastructure.

As far as your opinion on the situation being sick, we will just have to disagree. I may not have 32 years in aviation(19 years and counting) but I come from a family of aviators. I have worked in the regional side, frieght side, Legacy, and New Entrant. I have been an ALPA LEC Chair and Captain rep, I have sat on a NC during federally meidated section 6 talks. I am the son of a 40 year veteran of aviation who was the Captain Rep and LEC chair of one of ALPA's largest LEC's in the eighties and spent several years as an ALPA national EVP and the brother of a 17 year Captain at a legacy. I feel I have a fairly broad and varied outlook. While I am sad that this occured and wish that such things would never happen, I understand it as wll as those in my family and I think the situation was handled more than fairly.

Last edited by MAXjetPilot767; 07-31-2006 at 11:08 AM.