Thread: Colgan Hiring
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:15 AM
AbZorbFly
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default Colgan Truth

Okay I have read and read and read the threads for this orginial post. I have to agree sounds a lot like Brink, but in some statements it is obvious it is not.

The truth about Colgan is...You are the only one looking out for yourself. You need to know the Policies and Procedures better than anyone. You have to or everyday you will find yourself in a situation where you could be violated.

I am sure every airline has its issues but I am in my last few days with Colgan and I am moving on. I used this company for exactly what I wanted and I was used by them for what they wanted. I wanted to move on with 121 experience and they wanted an ass in the seat. So the feelings are mutual.

The only guys that I have seen that are happy at Colgan are those that have a family and their home is near where they are based. It makes it nice with being home everynight and still flying. You might see a few brand new pilots that are excited with 700 hours to be flying in 121.

It doesn't take long for you to realize just what is being thrown at you. Looking back in a 24 hour period to see you have the proper rest for your flight time means just that...24 hours (3pm today until 3pm yesterday) So when dispatch is trying to make you violate that you have yourself and the chief-pilot to help. So what do you think is said when you call him to back you up. "If the computer says you are legal you are legal." So I call and ask what time my rest started and it was marked as a time when I was still in the air flying. So hell yeah the computer will say I am okay. Computers can be wrong especially when it is human entering the determining factors. So the second call I get told that looking back in a 24 hour period means looking back to midnight. Come on...Next day resumes went out.

The quick upgrades are gone. There isn't enough pilots. My base alone three guys are leaving this month. Last month we were short pilots and only 4 guys for my AC came on line to bases that had multiple lines open. They haven't found out to get ahead of attrition. Maybe it is because the truth about the company is getting out there. The reserves at my base are doing TDY elsewhere. So at a MX Base there ins't a reserve around. Your reserve crew is your AM crew and when they get done around 12 they go out and cover what needs to be done...16 hours people.

Another one if you come here you have to watch for everyeing here is what was thrown at me on Day 1 after IOE. When you are on reserve your duty time starts at the time you are on reserve not when you are called to the airport. They will try swing that one by you. I was guilty day one...I learned my lesson. 4am to 4am reserve means your duty time started at 4am. I flew until 1am. Which is 21 hours I was told I was legal because I didn't come to the airport until 11am. Whew.

Part 91 is just that...unless it is in the middle of your flight schedule then it is a domestic fligh. Part 91 cannot go over 16 hours. Trust me. There are so many guys here that say you can fly part 91 over 16 hours. You can do 91 over your 8 hour flight time but not duty time. I can pull it where it says it both for Part 135 and Part 121. I tell people here all the time that if you were able and legal to do...then why do they offer you another day off or something else for helping them out...Because you aren't legal for it...If you were...this is the company that would say ****in do it.

I might be a bitter employee but I try to tell people what lies ahead because one thing is for sure. We all spent a lot of time and money to get where we are and this isn't a place I want to throw it all away. I came here for experience and maybe an upgrade. I can't endure anymore. I fullfilled my contract and I am moving on. I got what I wanted out of them and vice versa so both are happy. Especially now that they don't have to give me a raise of $1.