View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by Kingbird87 View Post
Wasatch, Thanks for the kind words, and I'd love to bend a few back with you and all my new Delta brothers and sisters. A few here have dissed' my attitude,(positive) and thats fine with me. I have a choice each day, and I've never gotten anything by choosing to be po'd. I didn't do too well in the computers's juggling of our list, the worst was 1700 numbers, I was at 1592 hired after me going ahead. Oh well, it happened. There has been so much happening here since we first heard the names Al Checchi and Gary Wilson, I'd be tango uniform if I chose to be po'd. I used to fly with an old Southern Airways Captain when we bid the whole month together. I'd be grumbling about everything, living in a 36 inch circle around myself. He'd say, Hey man, I can't wait to get to Indy! Why Rod?, "Man, they got the best corn in the whole system there", and he'd get a big bag of popcorn and put it on the pedestal, and he was right. We'd eat corn and live the dream! Rod died of a brain tumor at age 57, and I gave his eulogy. It ended like this. "Captain Rod, your flight today is a pattern position to your home of destination. Your logbook is clean, no write ups. Your tail number is 7777. Ship load is a crew of two, no pax. Total enroute time will be short, but your layover will last an eternity. Your copilot will be in the seat with you for the first time, but has been with you before on every flight. Wave Off will be on your left, and you have a lot of grateful people to see you off. (Hand Salute), Good Luck, Captain Rod, have a great flight home!"
Ever since that day, I've known I have a choice. And if you ever taste the corn in Indy, you'll begin to understand.
You're the best Kingbird!!

Carl