View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Default Old Timer

Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
Any intel on this place? Am thinking about traveling there for a few weeks this winter. Heard lots of fun for Westerners, even just staying around the crew hotels.

Is this place safe? Easy to meet local women?
It's been awhile but I spent over five years flying from JFK to Sao Paulo and "deep South America" and loved it.

A lot of good advice on this forum. Take precautions in Sao Paulo and Rio and try to "blend in" with the locals. Do NOT wear watches, jewelry or flashy clothing. You're making yourself a target. Don't carry much cash and my advice is carry a credit card and just enough cash for your evening plans in a sock or hidden on your person. Pickpockets are common in South America and I was 'fleeced" by the slickest operator ever in Rio. Thieves travel in gangs and believe me, they are good !

As for taxicabs, ask at the front desk of the hotel. Don't just take any cab on the street as Worldtraveler said.

I'm not trying to scare you. I loved South America but you have to know the rules and play by them or you will become a victim of petty crimes and robbed. Ask at your hotel where good places to meet people are and enjoy the trip !!

Just an experienced traveler....G'Day Mate