View Single Post
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM
FLYBOYMATTHEW
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Office Chair

I agree...teaching a specific aircraft is a waste of time since nobody knows what they will be flying next. I have been teaching a/c systems at 121 airlines for about 5 years now. I took a class at Embry-Riddle called Jet Transport Systems that covered general principles of various systems, but did not focus on specific a/c types. Try to find out what books/materials they are using to teach that class now. I pray that they are not looking to develop a pay for training type program there as well. Embry-Riddle offered training on the BE-1900 and 737 as part of the Aeronautical Science degree. It included ground school and about 20 hours of sim time (no rating!). It was actually required for the Airline Pilot area of concentration, and it cost about $10K for each a/c. An utter and complete waste of money if you ask me. The airline you get your first job with will provide you with the training you need to fly their a/c. I designed my own area of concentration to avoid taking these courses. You should, however, consider implementing CRM training into your course. I think this would be beneficial for aspiring airline pilots. Good luck!