View Single Post
Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 AM
captain152
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Generally no. Usually ZEDs are available for immediate family, and some ZED agreements include parents too. It depends on the agreement between the carriers. Does your company offer a domestic partnership...?
Well, it does, but I used the Registered Guest method because we don't live together. So she has my pass privileges on USAirways. I guess it would be far more beneficial just to list on USAirways and go from there? How much is the departure tax usually when coming back into the states?

The correct way to do a ZED in any country is to start with the ticket counter. Overseas, I've always been treated like a paying pax (I always fly with good loads, so there's no question about getting a seat). It's also a good idea to list yourself if you can figure out how.
Ok, so it is actually called a ticket counter? I didn't know if they had separate counters for checking in and actually paying for a ticket. Or are they just called ticket counter and check-in counter?

ZEDs usually have the lowest nonrev priority behind all company, code-share, and buddy passes. You will be ahead of offline jumpseaters (unless they bought a ZED too). I suspect priority among ZEDs is based on check-in time.
That's what I thought.

You might be able to get an upgrade at the gate, but know that a number of foriegn airlines will not allow ZEDs (or even their own nonrevs) in first class.
Gotcha

You're a US regional pilot, right? In order to maximize your odds (and comfort), try to fly on your own codeshare first...you will have higher priority. After that look at US airlines since they are often easier to deal with than foreign carriers, although the large european airlines should be OK too.
Yes, I'm with Colgan (hold back the insults for now ). I was planning on doing exactly that, flying on USAirways since my girlfriend could actually go with me on my pass privileges.

Don't forget your passport (and visas if you are going somewhere exotic). Also bring a power adapter if you need to use electronics overseas. Many newer laptop power supplies can handle euro-power, you just need a pig-tail that fits the socket. Internet cafes are ubiquitous and cheap in europe and asia.
Of course! I ALWAYS carry my passport at work and going international. I never know when I may need it for some crazy reason or another. Where do I go about getting an adapter for the euro-power outlets? I know they are different, just don't know where to get one.

I time my overseas travel for the off-season (mid JAN-mid FEB, or mid OCT-mid NOV). I've been spoiled...I never want to spend 10+ hours in economy class again
That's right about the time I was wanting to go is somewhere between mid JAN-end of FEB

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your info!